I am primarily a scholar of British, Irish, and Transatlantic literature of the Romantic period. This site has separate pages for my books in those areas: one on literary minstrelsy and one on mercenaries.
More recently, my research interests have expanded, and I am currently working on various projects that touch on these fields of inquiry:
- the written representation of dialect speech in the nineteenth century (in collaboration with Carolyn Jacobson);
- James Joyce’s adaptation of Irish and blackface minstrelsy, especially in Ulysses;
- digital humanities pedagogy, especially in literary studies;
- relationships between British Romanticism and the South American (Gran Colombian) revolutionary movements in the early nineteenth century; and
- data-driven analysis of college and university marketing materials.